I'm not going to lie, I used to love fanfiction.
But when you grow older, you start to realize how dumb it is and how stupid those teenage girls are. The thing is, these writers on fanfiction are the same age as I am.
Since I've been entirely bored out of my mind this weekend, I've been reading them a lot but it ends up being so hard because they are all so bad. I can't say they don't have a plot, because they do, but they're all so cliched and cheesy. Apparently everything that ever goes through these girls' heads is romance and guys and such. Is there anything else in the world that is important to you other than that? Obviously not.
Also, half of these characters are Mary Sues. I'll go into detail a bit here but if you want more info then Google it or something. Essentially, they're totally cliched characters that readers will end up hating because of that. These girls tend to put themselves in the story, and all they talk about is romance and guys and stuff like that. Also, they tend to be "unique" and "special" and maybe they have scars or special powers that keep popping up everywhere, or maybe they have a really strange eye color or a mysterious past they don't want to talk about. Maybe they have a strange name or they have a "normal" name spelled a different way. Oh, and when they describe guys, they take WAY too long. Here, I'll do one for you:
"A guy my age picked up my pen from off the ground and handed it back to me. He was so beautiful it was utterly breathtaking. He was tall and handsome, with dark brown hair swept off to one side of his face. He was wearing jeans, Converse, and a hoodie that said "Iron Maiden" across the front. A guitar was slung across his shoulder, and I looked into his bright blue eyes, the color of the Carribean, when he handed my pen back. I blushed and looked away."
Sorry I couldn't do better with the Mary Sue attempt, it's just that I'm so against it that it's become so hard to write that way. It really makes me want to a) scream, b) vomit, or c) die.
Obviously people these days aren't very imaginative and it really bothers me, because I actually want to read something good. I don't want to read stuff I want to hear, if you know what I mean. Twilight is very much like that in the same way. The reason why it's such a hit is because it's written so that teenage girls can read what they want to read (as in, one hearing or seeing what one wants to hear or see, only reading).
The truth is, it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, SO SHUT UP AND BE MORE ORIGINAL.
ugh, stories these days.they're just a repeat of everything else.
ReplyDelete