Friday, March 11, 2011

Bells of Notre Dame

Today I watched the Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney). And I've got to admit, that is pretty scary for a child's movie.

It has a lot of references to religion (Catholicism in particular) and adult-ish themes, I guess, that kids wouldn't really understand. This is only the second time I've seen it, the first was about a year and a half ago and already I understand it much more. Heaven's Light/Hellfire is a song about Love/Intense lust and in the latter half there are all these robed shadows and it's so creepy. It's also really depressing how Frollo treats Quasimodo.

"A?"
"Abomination!"
"B?"
"Beast!"...
..."D?"
"Damnation!"
"E?"
"uhhh, umm...ETERNAL damnation!!"

So degrading.

I also just love Esmerelda the gypsy. She's so pretty and, I don't know, just a really likeable character.

Also Captain Phoebus (Phoebus=Sun God of Ancient Greece?) has a horse named Achilles. And then he tells the horse to "heel". Love that.

There was also a reference to the Wizard of Oz when the old gargoyle sent the birds flying and the Wicked Witch of the West theme played, the one with her and the flying monkeys. Another gargoyle has a thing for goats (specifically, Esmerelda's little goat).

But the thing I mainly see in the movie is that religion can really ruin your life. Well, if you're too religious or something, like Frollo who sees sin everywhere but in himself.

Also, prayers go out to Japan.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I think that you can be really religious if you choose, you just have to be respectful of others. Otherwise, religion, I believe, can have the power to make oneself crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely watch the movie. It just drives me insane to see people screwing each other over because they take religion too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, religion is such a trivial matter to fight over.

    ReplyDelete