Friday, August 12, 2011

Lilo & Stitch: Stuff I Forgot

Oh my gosh I forgot to tell you some very important things related to this movie.

First of all, I took hula classes from first grade to sixth grade (Lilo & Stitch came out the summer between first and second grade). I have no idea what I thought when this movie came out, I'm not sure if I connected Lilo & Stitch to hula class at all. I stopped in sixth grade because of the work load, and I had become more serious about basketball and softball at that point and didn't have time for hula. I remember thinking over winter break that I should take hula classes again in the summer, if they were still offered. Summer's here and I'm not taking hula, because I had forgotten about hula classes shortly after winter break ended. I would take classes during fall, but they're on Saturdays and that's when marching band competitions are, as far as I know. Perhaps I'll take it up in the winter.

Second of all, I had a dream last night I was in Hawai'i. I didn't really remember it when I was watching the movie. In my dream I was going up a ski lift (with skis), although I didn't register that until after I woke up. It was very high up, and it was absolutely terrifying. You know how, in dreams, you don't know depth? Things can be really close and really far at the same time. That's what it was like in my dream. Somehow the cable of the ski lift was above me but also in my hands and I was holding onto it for dear life, despite the fact that I was sitting in the chair. It looked like one of those stretchy rubber physical therapy/warm-up bands; not the flat ones, but the round ones. I got to the top and got off, and it was very, very high up. I think I saw Hawai'i below me. It was a bit like a resort at the top. Why I had skis and was sitting on a ski lift I do not know. But I knew since I was at the bottom of the lift that I was in Hawai'i.

Last of all, perhaps the part that pertains most to Lilo & Stitch, is the music. I don't know how I could have missed the music, because I love movie scores/soundtracks. I believe the Lilo & Stitch soundtrack consists of mainly Elvis Presley songs and others performed by A*Teens and Wynonna, although there are three tracks composed by Alan Silvestri. My two favorites are Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride and He Mele No Lilo, sung by Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu and The Kamehameha School's Children's Chorus. The first is played in the scene where David takes Nani, Lilo, and Stitch surfing. I believe the lyrics are mainly in English, but there is a section in the middle sung in Hawaiian. I remember dancing to this song in hula classes when I was younger. It was also a played at our Hawaiian-themed elementary school graduation. The second song, He Mele No Lilo, is my favorite, sung entirely in Hawaiian. This is the song that opens the movie, as Lilo swims through clear tropical waters of Hawai'i to bring Pudge the fish (who controls the weather) a peanut butter sandwich. If you listen closely, you can catch some of the words of the song (Mauna Kea, etc.). Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll have to Google the lyrics and a translation. It reminds me of when I took hula classes, although I'm not sure if we ever danced to it. It's quite a relaxing song.


Oh, and the song Nani sings with Lilo is Aloha 'Oe. It was written by the last queen of Hawai'i, Queen Lilo'uokalani, in 1877.

No comments:

Post a Comment