Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Vanessa's Song

(A.K.A. Poor Unfortunate Souls-reprise)

I don't see how anyone could hate this song. True, it may not stand out as an amazing song to some, but I see not reason to dislike it for any particular reason. I'd say it doesn't get enough credit because it's really short. Like, haiku short.

First of all, Vanessa. She's a great villain. True, she may be Ursula in disguise, but let's face it; Ursula doesn't exactly have the looks. And other antagonists like the Queen from Snow White or Mother Gothel from Tangled are in search of beauty, which is exactly what turns them into the "bad guy". But the thing that separates Vanessa as a character (and as a villain) is that she is competing with Ariel for Prince Eric. Ariel gave her those resources (her voice) and then Ursula turns into Vanessa and Eric falls under her spell, believing she is the girl who rescued him from the shipwreck. Ursula has gone from the "bad guy" to the "bad bitch" in a matter of spells.

Then, Jodi Benson. She's got this amazing singing voice and voices Ariel. When Ariel gives up her voice to Ursula who then uses it as Vanessa, of course Jodi Benson is going to voice Vanessa too. But her personality is obviously not the same and it makes such a difference, especially in the singing. It's extremely hard to describe this way, and you might think I'm crazy, but I'd say if I were to visually describe Vanessa's voice it would be full of sharp angles. Beautiful? Of course. It's not harsh or crude or rough, it's smooth and pretty but jagged in places, which is the evil coming out. Ariel's voice is also smooth but more light and fluffy and curvy, like the gentle rocking of a ship on a calm sea. That's what makes Ariel so much sweeter.

And the lyrics!

What a lovely little bride I'll make; my dear, I'll look divine
Things are working out according to my ultimate design
Soon I'll have that little mermaid and the ocean will be mine!!


From http://aquamarine.nu/lyrics/disney/littlemermaid89.php

Combined with the ominous laughter, this song is so delightfully evil I end up listening to it again and again. Although I am sad it is so short, I believe I would keep it the way it is, given the option to change it. A full song or even a full reprise is not necessary to get the idea across, and might drag the movie along a bit.

Thanks for reading! Sorry I haven't written in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment