Friday, August 12, 2011

Lilo & Stitch

Lilo & Stitch was the first movie I've ever seen in the theatres, as far as I can remember. It was at a field trip during Rustic Canyon Summer camp, and I was in the youngest group, named the "Sixers" for obvious reasons. I don't remember much about where I went to see it, I just remembered the main plot and none of the details. I also remember having to go to the bathroom near the end, therefore I didn't see the last bit of the movie.

Seeing as I'm watching this movie right now, I thought it would be appropriate to blog about it. It was one of the last "classic" Disney movies, before live action and CGI took over. So not only is the hand-drawn animation better, but the quality of the plot is much higher than, for instance, Spy Kids: Island of Lost Dreams, Country Bears, or Inspector Gadget II, as shown in the trailers before the movie.


I love how the animators of every single classic Disney movie work together to create characters with a similar style. As far as I know, only a few people design each character, instead of everyone working on all the characters at the same time. But they communicate so each face is drawn with a similar style, as if one person created them all. No two Disney movies are drawn with the same technique, although many of the same animators may have worked on different movies. The faces of this particular movie are drawn with full curves and large, somewhat egg-shaped eyes. Instead of almond-shaped or cat-like as in some other movies, the eyes are composed to match the roundness of the face and nose.

If you are familiar with the story, you would know that Lilo has no friends and is the outcast of her class. Lilo means "lost" in Hawaiian, and is allowed to pick out a puppy from the shelter, despite the fact that her sister, Nani, is struggling to find a job and watch Lilo at the same time. Nani is legal and therefore can take care of Lilo, but a social worker, Mr. Cobra Bubbles, is called in to monitor the family and determine whether or not to take Lilo away. Lilo picks out a "dog" from the shelter, who she names Stitch, who is actually an illegal genetic expirement (Expirement 626) on the run. I think the reason the name Stitch was chosen (by the creators of the movie) is because by the end of the movie, the broken pieces of the Pelekai family are stitched back together. Also, David, Nani's friend and crush, is named after the last king of Hawai'i. Or so I would think. I should probably Google that before I publish.


As for the aliens, there's Dr. Jumba, an "evil genius" who created Stitch, sent to Earth to recapture his expirement. Pleakley is sent to monitor and help him as an expert on Planet Earth by the Grand Councilwoman (hooray, a woman in charge!) Gantu is ordered when Pleakley does not bring Stitch back fast enough. Also, in the beginning, when Stitch is sent hurtling towards Earth, the Grand Councilwoman speaks to another alien at the dashboard, who tells her where Stitch is. Anyone who is familiar with Winnie the Pooh would recognize the similarities of the little rosy-colored alien to Piglet, our lovable, nervous pink friend. And right next to the Little Pink Alien is guess who? Yes, that's right, it's Big Striped Alien. Also known as Tigger, in my mind. The bouncy-trouncy-flouncy-pouncy-fun-fun-fun-fun-fun! Tigger we all know! Two other unmentioned aliens closely resemble animals; the Hammerhead Shark Captain and the Armadillo Alien.

Also, Gantu closely resembles a manta ray. According to Wikipedia, he tells people he is Samoan, in later spinoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment