Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

Yesterday was my first time watching Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Yes, after 15 years, I have finally seen it. What a deprived child I was.

I've actually owned the movie on VHS for about two months, but I've been putting off watching it. The reason why? I never really liked her hair. In ballet classes I took when I was younger, we got stickers, and when we got princess-themed stickers I never wanted Snow White simply because I did not like her hair. In fact, the reason her hair is styled that particular way is because that was the style in 1930's America. I've never really liked their hair either.

I find it appropriate that Snow White is my first official blog post about a Disney move, as it is the first full-length film produced by Walt Disney. It is also the first full-length animated film and first full-length film to be in color. Something like that. Basically, everyone thought the movie would fail. It was incredibly pricey for a movie of its time, but it ended up a success and was nominated for several awards and remains one of the highest grossing films of all time, after adjusting for inflation.

As for the movie— it was much better than I expected it to be. Not that I expected it to be bad, it's just that I was expecting myself to be somewhat bored. Aside from the hair, and maybe the high-pitched voice of Snow White, I find the movie quite enjoyable. Snow White is probably the most feminine of all the Disney Princesses/heroines, but I believe that is because that's what women were like back in 1937. They all stayed home, cooking and cleaning and taking care of the children. It was not until WWII when many started getting jobs. As for the dwarves, who couldn't love seven little bumbling men dedicated to Snow White? Though I couldn't name a favorite dwarf yet, as I've only seen the movie once. Possibly one of my favorite characters from the movie is the Evil Queen. I really loved the scene where she makes the potion to turn herself into a beggar woman and poisons the apple. It reminds me of the scene from Sleeping Beauty where the three fairies give their gifts to the baby Aurora, in an ominous sort of way.

I think it was a brilliant way to start off hand-drawn animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment